Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Whirlwind Mornings

I knew when I became pregnant that my life would never be the same. It's not necessarily a secret that "babies change everything" and yet, it's easy to glaze over the finer details like how your morning ritual will suck the life out of you.

So here it is. A peek into our (weekday) mornings:

To preface this, I'd like to point out that H has woken up to eat at midnight and again at 2:00am.

6:00 a.m. - Rise and shine! H is ready for the day and wakes up crying.

6:02 a.m. - I grab H and put him in bed with me so that he can nurse. These days H likes to drink a little, looks around, drink a little more, pinch my nose, drink a little, pull my hair, drink a little, bite my nipple, and then I take the boob away. While H is nursing I either try to "sleep" a little longer, or I start checking work email.

6:30 a.m. - And we are up! I take H into the nursery, pull open the curtains, pick out his outfit, change his diaper, put his clothes on and sit him in the floor. Then I make myself a cup of coffee.

6:45 a.m. - While H starts to play in  the nursery, I dash downstairs to get his clean diapers that I washed the night before. I put them away in the nursery and then put H in his swing.  Then I start to vacuum the nursery, dining room, entry room and kitchen. With both babies (H is in a nanny share and it's our week to be at our house) crawling, the floor needs to be super clean. Otherwise they'll end up with beagle hair and who knows what else all over their sticky palms. Oh, and I let the beagle outside to do his business. The cup of coffee is still sitting on the counter, untouched.

7:15 a.m. - Hubby feeds H his rice cereal while I shower. Then I throw on some clothes and hubby hops in the shower. I feed the dog. H begins crawling aaallllll over the house. I do my best to keep slobbery beagle kisses at a minimum (Bailey is really excited about H crawling and shows it by licking his face!)

7:30 a.m. - I try to do something with my (either wet or unwashed) hair and start putting on makeup. This routine, which used to take 15 minutes pre-baby, now takes FOREVER. I'm usually interrupted by something. It varies daily.  While I am trying to look presentable, hubby starts defrosting frozen breast milk and making H's bottles for the day. Oh! there's that cup of coffee! I take a few sips and go back to whatever I was doing before.

8:00 a.m. - the nanny arrives, and I holler at hubby to make sure he puts pants on. The beagle goes crazy....he likes guests, even if it is someone he knows. Then the other mom in our nanny share brings in baby H2 (his name also starts with an H!) and the beagle goes bonkers again. I spend about 5 minutes trying to occupy the beagle with a treat by having him do his tricks (sit! down! lay! spin! up! walk! shake!) to remind him that he is in fact, a well-trained dog. Meanwhile hubby is unloading/loading the dishwasher. I take a few more sips of coffee.

8:15 a.m. - hubby and I finish getting ready. Damn! I still have like half a cup of coffee! I pack my work bag, take a few more sips, give H a kiss and we are out the door!

8:30 a.m. - we hop in the car. I then say "oops!" and run back into the house to get whatever it is that I've forgotten that day. Hubby drives me to the metro (only a 15 min walk from our house, but he's going that directions anyways) and we both go to our offices. He drives to the Virginia suburbs, I take the train to the city.

9:00 a.m. - I start chugging down coffee number two and hope for a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment